Steady State Manchester is looking for new members for their core group who share our principles and can offer regular and reliable involvement. This leaflet is intended to help you decide if you would like to express an interest.
OUR SELECTION PROCESS FOR CORE GROUP MEMBERS
We are developing a two way process. Initially, interested people and current core group members will talk through:
- what membership involves and find out more about the group
- what interested people can offer the group
A BIT ABOUT SSM MANCHESTER
What are SSM aiming to achieve?
We want SSM ideas to have a presence in the City and region. Within three years, we would like to see a range of organisations engaging with Steady State ideas and seriously seeing them as an option when they make decisions.
Our current work programme includes:
- *In Place of Growth Workshops to develop conversations, dialogue and share the ideas in our reports
- *Regular blogposts, press releases etc on policies in Greater Manchester
- *Making practical policy recommendations, encouraging implementation and lobbying.
- Working with others to organise events eg Towards a Sustainable Economic System, a workshop to be facilitated by researchers from nef (the new economics foundation) in July, and Beyond Fragmentation, a regional conference in November.
- Research on levels of income inequality in the public sector and it’s suppliers.
- *Participating in local meetings and events including running workshops, stalls etc.
For more information see http://www.steadystatemanchester.net
WHAT ARE THE CORE GROUP LOOKING FOR?
New members to develop a group
- with a range of knowledge, skills, networks etc which will address our work programme (see below)
- which is as diverse as possible, for example in terms of age, gender and ethnicity
We would especially welcome new members who are interested in developing our thinking and work around economics, model building, visioning, engagement and connection with others, fundraising, IT and media. There will be opportunities for new core members to engage in the current work programme areas with a* and over time to co-create our work programme.
Members will need to :
1. Be able to offer a minimum of 2 hours a week for Steady State Manchester work
2. Be committed to steady state principles, a post-growth economy which is rebalanced, resilient, fair and within ecological limits. We suggest you read our reports or our executive summary, https://steadystatemanchester.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/exec-summary-ssm-reports-revised-22april-20131.pdf
3. Be able to actively contribute to at least one of our five priority sectors:
- City Council and the public sector
- Business, especially locally owned and managed businesses.
- Social enterprise and cooperative sector,
- Social movements and civil society (including political parties, trade unions, faith organisations, community and civic groups, large and small NGOs and campaigning organisations)
- The academic world of colleges, universities and schools.
4. Work as part of a non-hierarchical team and with others outside the core group
5. Attend monthly core meetings
If you would like to explore joining the core group further, please let us know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th June and one of us will get back in contact with you.
For people wanting to support us with less involvement, you can become a Friend https://steadystatemanchester.net/2013/04/17/become-a-friend-of-steady-state-manchester/ Steady State Manchester is looking for new members for their core group who share our principles and can offer regular and reliable involvement. This leaflet is intended to help you decide if you would like to express an interest.