We are delighted to announce the launch of The Viable Future Mark. This award is being given to groups and organisations whose work is consistent with our vision of a Viable Greater Manchester.
Viable Greater Manchester means a post-growth society that lives within its ecological means, enabling a sufficient, dignified and fulfilling life for all without exploiting other peoples and ecosystems globally. Read more about it below.
So who are the first holders of the Viable Future Mark?
- Stitched Up Website
- Chorlton Bike Deliveries Website
- Carbon Co-op Website
- Greater Manchester Community Renewables Website
- Save Greater Manchester’s Green Belt Website
In their different ways, each of these Greater Manchester groups makes a contribution, through one or more of,
- informing and educating,
- developing policy, or practice,
to at least two of,
- Increasing public understanding of ecological limits and/or ecosystem realities.
- Prioritising social justice for all people.
- Integrating the spheres of ecology, politics and economics.
- Challenging and changing prevailing economic and social arrangements.
Moreover, their work does not rely on assumptions of aggregate economic growth and,to some extent at least, promotes degrowth, post-growth or the steady state economy.
We will be featuring each of these groups in future articles here.
Meanwhile, if you know of a group or organisation whose work fits the above criteria, do suggest them for a Viable Future Mark. Likewise, if you think your organisation would qualify, then do get in touch. That way we can build a loose alliance of groups, whether campaigning organisations, services, community groups or businesses, all consciously working towards the Viable Future that we all need.
Pingback: Save Greater Manchester’s Greenbelt (SGMGB) awarded the Viable Future Mark | Steady State Manchester